The association was formed in 1985 in conjunction with Swedish Railway Museum Days and is aimed at everyone who likes trains and railways, history, technology, the environment and societal development. The principal source of income is the membership fees and the association has over the years contributed a range of purchases to the museum.
Friends of Swedish Railway Museum's helps the museum in its work to care for, preserve and develop the unique historical railway collections. You can be an active or a supporting member by for example taking part in the renovation of different railway vehicles, guided tours or acting as an official. The association also has a section called The Gävle Model Railway, where members are constructing an H0-scale model railway.
Included in membership
- Swedish Railway Museum's yearbook SPÅR, bound, minimum 144 pages.
- Members' magazine Sidospår, 4 issues a year.
- 10% discount in Swedish Museum's shop (currently closed).
- Free admission to Swedish Railway Museum and events (currently closed).
- Free admission to the railway museums in the Nordic countries.
- Free admission to the municipal railway museum in Ängelholm.
- Possibility to take part in the association's trips and events.
The membership fee for 2021 is 495 kronor and 50 kronor for other family members. Young people up to the age of 20 pay 100 kronor and have the same membership privileges as adults. Fees are paid to bank giro account no 5777-5561. If you are resident outside the Nordic region an additional fee of 100 kronor is charged to cover postage and packing of the yearbook.
If you pay from outside Sweden, please pay to:
IBAN SE21 8000 0810 3498 3986 2324. BIC:SWEDSESS
Järnvägsmusei Vänner (Friends of Swedish Railway Museum)
Box 407, SE-801 05 Gävle
Visit the website of Järnvägsmusei Vänner (external link)
Ove Häger, Chairman
Thomas Gustafsson, Secretary
Members' register, change of address, etc.